FITS AND STARTS

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Little dragon balls, err buns

This year's summer is probably my least favourite. I've only spent two months in KL and already I have to leave. Those of you who know that I didn't fare too well in the exams will be reminded of the ominous fate that awaits me (I can just hear Teresa's cackling in the background upon revelation of the news to her). I'll be heading back to England on Thursday night. Sorry to cut short the holiday folks. I suppose it was my fault really for not doing more for my studies. But I feel a sense of contrition; I do, I do...............

Eugene was in KL for an entire week, two weeks ago. I think most of his time here was spent at foodie joints, thanks to me hee. After days of "Dim sum today, ok ah!!" we finally got round to satiating our craving for the Chinese version of tapas on Saturday. Google hits showed Shang Palace to be one of the better places that serve dim sum, so to Shang Palace we went. We ordered the requisite har kow and siu mai, two varieties of cheong fun (one with prawn and the other a mixture of mushrooms, prawns and char siu), xiao long bao, kai keok in spicy black bean sauce, porridge with slivers of pork, and wu kok. Eugene was quite adamant about ordering the xiao long bao because I told him that I hadn't tried it before. And he spent some time describing it in detail too, albeit rather animatedly........



And so our xiao long baos arrived, looking rather unimpressive with their pasty glue-coloured complexion and shrivelled exterior. But as soon as I popped one into my mouth, everything Eugene said about delicious meaty juices bursting from the middle held true and all that was swimming in my mind was "Delicious. Meaty. Juicy. Juicy. Juices." Apparently the ones in China are much nicer because the xiao long baos melt as soon as they enter your oral cavity. Well, for newbies such as myself, I'd say that first introductions to xiao long bao at the Shang Palace were tasty enough. Next, fried xiao long bao!

The others dishes were pretty good. For the siu mai, Shang Palace adds a piece of scallop meat at the top and I find this slightly alters the flavour of the siu mai. It was quite nice, although I wasn't quite used to my siu mai tasting a little, well... fishy. My favourite kai keok was not too soggy. The skin didn't cling to the bones; it was puffy enough and had just the right chewy texture that I like. The wu kok was probably my next favourite dish. Like the xiao long bao, it looked measly and pathetic in size compared to the wu kok in Kam Tong, a Chinese restaurant in London. But all you need is one bite to banish any negative notion. The crispy delicate exterior crumbles in your mouth and the yam is delectably sweet and soft. Omg just the thought of wu kok is making me salivate...

Btw I hear the Pussycat Dolls are coming to Malaysia. Anyone going to their concert?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home