FITS AND STARTS

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Testing 123

Whittled the afternoon away by test driving cars. Checked out some Hondas (THE CITY IS NOT ALL THAT JAZZ --> uhuhu get it?), Toyotas and a VW CrossPolo. Given that both driver (me) and sponsors (F+M) have to be happy with the eventual decision, it's probably safe to say that it's gonna be a showdown between the Vios and Altis. Parents seem to like the Altis. It's roomy, relatively quiet (engine), relatively solid (cabin) and relatively decent (performance). Why relatively? I guess when you're used to driving a continental car with a 2.0l engine, anything else below that kinda falls short buahahahaha

Ok note that I only tested out the Jazz and City, but I must say that Honda really needs to do something about their cars' interiors. Ugly. Plasticky. Big knobs sticking out here and there! The insides of the Vios and Altis are sleeker, more streamlined and much more pleasant on the eyes. I quite liked the feel and handling of the Jazz. The Honda salesman told me that their male customers tend to choose the Jazz as a second car for their wives. I can see why women would like the car though. It's cute, compact, with an ample view of the road and makes for a nippy drive despite being such a wee little thing. Although, it IS rather pricey. Which is why we turned our attention to the Altis because for that price range, you'd probably want a bigger, less toy-ish looking car right? Anyway, I have yet to make a decision and I'm kinda like 60:40 Altis:Vios at the moment. The main question is - should I opt for a high spec lower range model (Vios 1.5G), or a low spec higher range model (Altis 1.6E)? Thoughts, anyone?

Booked my flight ticket to Boston today as well. Phew. That's one entry less on my ToDo list. Man, flights from London to Boston are not cheap!!!! I thought I'd be able to get a budget flight on Ryanair or Easyjet but it turns out that neither of them do flights to the States. I'm travelling on Icelandair for GBP260. I initially checked out BA, but it was waaayayayayyayayyy more expensive... GBP500+ wei!!!!! And then I have to make my US visa as well... that's gonna cost MYR500. Sigh, money doesn't grow on trees but why does the world depend on it to turn? There's this ad that they show during trailer-time at the cinemas; it shows people doing business as usual, but getting paid with hugs and kisses or some other form of useful consideration. The ad ends with the tagline 'In an ABSOLUT world'... (O_O) No prizes for guessing what they're hawking. Frankly, I'd like to see the barter system return to this era. There's way too much junk and wastage being dumped and buried. People end up reaping in far more than they need. I'd like to say technology is to blame, but then again our greed and materialism also has a part to play. Why can't we pay with the things we already have that we don't need anymore? If A needs a pair of sport shoes and I need a badminton racket, and A has a spare badminton racket and I have a spare pair of sport shoes, why shouldn't we just trade? Sure there may be a difference in the value of our belongings, but what the heck can't we just make up the deficit with goodwill and large dollop of love? Ahhhhh perhaps one day I shall rethink my youthful and vigorous idealism...

In the meantime, I have an old study desk which is still in good condition (if you don't mind overlooking the childish stickers stuck all over). Anyone wanna trade me for a Toyota Altis or Vios? HOW ABOUT AN AUDI Q5?

2 Comments:

  • All I have is a 1997 Honda Accord...

    BUT, why are you coming to the US? Holidayyy?

    By Blogger Amy Koid, At 4:32 PM  

  • ahahah for you amy, no need to give car in exchange. you want the table? it is still sitting on my porch.

    yes holiday! wheeeee! ming will be there too :D

    By Blogger Xian, At 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home