FITS AND STARTS

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Expectations

All the people I have come across in my 21 years are compounded in a hierarchy. The categories are titled along the lines of Family, Favourite People, Good Friends, Acquaintances, People I Only Need to be on Good Terms With, etc. I can't detail everything perfectly off the top of my head but it's all there. I built it up piece by piece over the course of time because of the need to protect myself from certain people and certain expectations that I might have of them. I wasn't always used to putting up barriers to friendship. Anyone I met was immediately my friend and before long I was baring my soul to them. But then you grow up and meet alot more people and soon realise that not everyone wants to be your friend the way you see them. For example, you treat this person like someone very important to you. And you believe the person treats you the same way too because in front of you, that's the facade you see. But gradually you become aware that you're not as special as you thought you were; you're only his friend for as long as he needs help with his homework, has no one else to hang out with, or simply because you two go a long way back. And the consequent ache that seeps in... I don't know how to describe it. A mixture of disappointment? Hurt? Anger? I am way too vulnerable to these sort of emotions. They do my head and heart in and sometimes it's pressingly difficult to move on.

But the hierarchy made things a whole lot better. The database in my head sifts through and organises my relationships, processing the qualities and personalities of each person, calculating my input versus their output to see how much time, effort and trust I need to put into the relationship. For instance, a person I meet for the first time would usually fall under Acquaintance - over time he may or may not progress into a higher category, one that entails a deeper amount of respect, care, trust and expectation, depending on whether we choose to nurture the little seed of friendship that has been sown. Conversely, it is also possible for someone to be 'demoted' to a lower category. Someone pointed out that it sounds kinda unethical to be shifting people down whenever I like but it's an exceedingly rare occurrence. I like the concept of second chances and I really would try to work at a disheartening relationship before giving it up. Furthermore, a close friendship doesn't blossom overnight and I am inclined to be more wary when moving people up the ladder.

This might all just sound eerily robotic to you but it isn't as well planned as it sounds. The policy is still very much susceptible to my emotions (although less than without it), thirdfourthfifthsixthseventheighthninthtenthetc chances, and there aren't any strict rules like 50-50 giving and taking when someone moves up or down the hierarchy. In fact it's like Spamguard; it reduces junk mail but doesn't guarantee none at all. But it helps. And in this harsh world where everyone is flawed, materialistic, and there are lots of people who are happy to trample on you to get what they want, I think we all need some form of self-protection to make it through our earthly time. The ride is constantly bumpy, but I take comfort in Big Poppa and the ones I need and who need me. If you're reading this and are curious as to where you stand in my intriguing little structure - well let's just say I wouldn't have told you about this blog if I didn't think it would matter much to you at all :)

7 Comments:

  • I have been thinking about how some friendship tend to disappear within thin air under many circumstances lately. At times I thought maybe I'm the ugly monster who can't keep friendships but then things don't just happen for no apparent reason.

    Then here comes your post about upgrading and downgrading friendship.

    Some people are worthy of your attention, others not so much. As long as you know you're not going to lose anything, I think it's all good. And I'm sure many of us are doing the same thing as you do. I know I am fragile when it comes to emotions. Therefore, there's nothing robotic about the hierarchy.

    Blergh.

    It's just one of the many self defense mechanism we are accustomed to since people can be so manipulative.

    I definitely can relate to this post. :)

    Oh on a whole different subject altogether, miss selfridge is having mega sale!?

    By Blogger dania, At 11:22 AM  

  • i know where i am in that hierarchy! or rather, i assume i'm one or two levels below family. n dun tell me! i'm pretty happy just assuming. hehehe...

    i think everyone has some sorta hierarchy in their heads, like a "degree of closeness" sorta thing. hehe.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 9:18 AM  

  • Well, I can totally relate to your post (just blogged about something similar recently :p). I think you get hurt easier the more you care...

    But I'll never be as organised as you :) *I'm much more primitive*


    Despite that, there will be people who are worth their status at the top of the hierarchy. Discovering them is part of one's journey, and knowing them is one of the great pleasures in life ;)

    By Blogger funĀ², At 6:43 PM  

  • eh.. u didn't tell me about ur blog. i found it out myself!!! what u trying to imply?! hahaha.. oh well, but i really agree with ur entry. i rmb our little conversation when i followed u to the british commission. that was good. hehe..

    melvyn

    By Blogger the dawn hero, At 1:10 PM  

  • xian!!! u knw u hv us! and monkey here in malaysia!
    quick la, we hv so many fun activities, waiting for u la.

    let those useless friends be, as long as u r sincere, sincere friends wil come to you. hahha, jus hv fun and chill la. life's so much more to explore! heh.. i knw i am abit simple minded at times but dun care, jus wanna hv FUN everyday!

    hoo hoo haa haa aa
    the monkey

    By Blogger zoemusic, At 3:10 AM  

  • cheh. since everyone is replying to this post, how can I leave it without leaving my marks can I? Well, I hope my lack of spamming your wall in FB have not downgrade myself in your hierarchy. u know I still care don't ya? Only in my own ways of showing it.. HEhehehe

    By Blogger toi toi, At 12:53 PM  

  • Hey why so emo.

    Btw you didn't tell me about your blog either. I found out via M.

    By Blogger Ennie, At 5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home